Independent Review (PBS)
Page last updated: 18 January 2018
The Independent Review (PBS) was established as part of Australia’s implementation of the pharmaceutical provisions of the Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA).
An independent review is available to any applicant whose submission to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) has not resulted in a recommendation to list the drug on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) or where the PBAC has declined to recommend an extension of the listing of an already listed drug. Further information on the eligibility requirements for independent review is contained in the Information for Applicants Seeking Review (PBS).
The Independent Review (PBS) is managed by a convenor who is responsible for ensuring the efficient conduct of each review, including the selection of a reviewer(s) with appropriate skills and expertise.
Administrative instructions and procedural guidelines for the conduct of the Independent Review (PBS) may be found at the following links:
- The Convenor of the Independent Review (PBS)
- Information for Applicants Seeking an Independent Review (PBS)
- Instructions for Reviewers and Suggested Template
- Instructions for Secondary Reviewers and Suggested Template
- AUSFTA & the PBS - Statement on the Implementation of Australia’s AUSFTA Commitments, 4 February 2005 (PDF 88 KB)