Reference Committee for the Health Technology Assessment Policy and Methods Review
Page last updated: 10 April 2022
On 6 September 2021, the Commonwealth entered into a new Strategic Agreement in relation to reimbursement, health technology assessment and other matters (Strategic Agreement) with Medicines Australia acting on behalf of the innovator medicines industry.
Under clause 5.3 of the Strategic Agreement, it was agreed that the Commonwealth would support and resource a Health Technology Assessment Policy and Methods Review (Review).
The Government has invited the following candidates to serve on the Reference Committee for the Review.
- Independent Chair: Dr Peter Boxall AO
- Patient Representatives: Ms Ann Single and Dr Dawn Casey PSM
- Chair of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC): Professor Andrew Wilson
- Clinical/Scientific representative: Professor Andrew Roberts AM
- Industry Representative: Mr John Young
- Government Nominee: Ms Adriana Platona PSM
The functions of the Reference Committee will include:
- agreeing the terms of reference for the Review
- agreeing the expert in HTA to undertake an analysis of current methods used by PBAC, contemporary research and relevant methodologies and purchasing practices used by comparable jurisdictions
- overseeing public consultations and considering submissions to the review
- overseeing the analysis undertaken by the expert in HTA
- preparing and agreeing the final review report and recommendations for the Review
Once formed, the first task of the Reference Committee will be to prepare the terms of reference for the Review in consultation with the PBAC, and other stakeholders including Medicines Australia.
For further information about the Review, please visit the Strategic Agreements with the Medicines Industry page.