Biosimilars on the PBS
Page last updated: 20 September 2016
The PBS Access and Sustainability Package, including the Sixth Community Pharmacy Agreement (6CPA), includes measures to support the use and awareness of biosimilar medicines and ensure appropriate policies can be applied to provide market access and increase consumer choice and access and achieve the savings that can be gained from the use of these products.
The Government is investing $20 million over 2015-18 for activities designed to improve awareness and confidence in biosimilar medicines, for both health professionals and consumers.
Fact Sheets on biosimilar medicines
You can access a copy of the Fact Sheets on biosimilar medicines here:
- Biosimilar Medicines – Factsheet for Patients and Consumers
- Biosimilar Medicines – Factsheet for Healthcare Professionals
Biosimilar infliximab on the PBS
From 1 December 2015, a biosimilar infliximab (Inflectra®) will be listed on the PBS for the same indications as Remicade®. Information has been provided to health professionals and patient groups, which you can access here:
- Fact sheet – Biosimilar infliximab on the PBS
- Letter to prescribers – Biosimilar infliximab on the PBS
- Letter to pharmacists – Biosimilar infliximab on the PBS
Biosimilar Awareness Implementation Framework
The Department of Health has developed an Implementation Framework for the project. As part of the collaborative model being used to consult with stakeholders, a consultation survey was available from 8 to 26 October 2015. Feedback from the consultation process was provided to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) and has been incorporated into an updated Implementation Framework, where appropriate.
The Implementation Framework will be used to inform the longer term development and implementation of the awareness project.
This represents an important step for consultation on this project. There will be further opportunities for consultation and feedback over the term of the project.
You can access a copy of the Implementation Framework here:
- Updated Biosimilar Awareness Implementation Framework (Word 243KB)
- Updated Biosimilar Awareness Implementation Framework (PDF 254KB)
Biosimilar Awareness Initiative Reference Group
The Biosimilar Awareness Initiative Reference Group (the Reference Group) was established to give guidance on the activities of the Biosimilar Awareness Initiative and ensure key messages are clearly articulated and appropriately targeted.
Members of the Reference Group consists of stakeholders from the pharmaceutical industry, consumers, pharmacists and relevant medical authorities.
The Reference Group had its inaugural meeting in Canberra on 07 April 2016
The second meeting of the Reference Group was held in Canberra on 12 May 2016
- Reference Group Communiqué 2 (PDF 25KB) - (Word 35KB)
- Presentation 1 – ORC Market Research (PDF 1.5MB) - (PowerPoint 17MB)
- Presentation 2 – PBS Data Presentation (PDF 356KB) - (PowerPoint 237KB)
The third meeting of the Reference Group was held in Canberra on 18 August 2016