Pricing of PBS Items
Page last updated: 1 August 2017
The information in this section of the PBS website relates to the ex-manufacturer prices of brands of pharmaceutical item subsidised under the PBS. It is intended to provide guidance on the processes used to agree and review ex-manufacturer prices for pharmaceutical benefits, including on statutory price reductions applied under Division 3A of the National Health Act 1953.
Information on the operations of price disclosure is available in Pricing Matters.
Information on the mark-ups and fees that apply to pharmaceutical benefits when they are supplied in different settings (eg. community pharmacy, public hospital, private hospital) or under different PBS programs (eg. general schedule, Section 100 Highly Specialised Drugs Program, Section 100 Efficient Funding of Chemotherapy) is available in the Explanation of PBS Pricing.
For queries related to PBS pricing please email the Department through the Pricing Section.
Arrangements following cessation of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority
- Sponsors of submissions to the November 2014 or later PBAC meetings who are required to provide Cost of Goods Information must provide that information at the time of submission to PBAC; and
- There will be no changes to the current processes for sponsors seeking price increases for currently listed PBS medicines.
- National Health Act 1953
- National Health (Listing of Pharmaceutical Benefits) Instrument 2012 (No. PB 71 of 2012)
- Ex-manufacturer price - 1 August 2017
- Formulary Allocations - 1 August 2017
- Items Exempt from Statutory Price Reductions - 1 February 2017
- 12.5% and 16% Price Reductions - 1 August 2017
- Therapeutic Relativity Sheets - 1 August 2017
- F1 5% Statutory Price Reduction on 1 April 2017 - List of Affected Drugs
- Combination Drugs taking Flow-on Price Reductions
- 2016 Information Session – Recent PBS Statutory Pricing Changes presentation (PDF 612KB)
- Request for Approved Ex-Manufacturer PB11a form
- Cost Information PB11b form
- Fact sheet - F1 5% Statutory Price Reduction
- Fact sheet - Six price change points
- Fact sheet – Setting an approved ex-manufacturer price for new or extended listings
- Fact sheet – Requesting a change to an existing price or premium
- Fact sheet – Pricing a first new brand of an existing pharmaceutical benefit
- Weighted Average Monthly Treatment Cost (WAMTC) User's Manual and Calculator
- 2012 Changes to PBS Pricing Arrangements
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority (PBPA) Annual Reports
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority Policies, Procedures and Methods