PBS Access and Sustainability Package including the Sixth Community Pharmacy Agreement
Page last updated: 31 March 2016
The Australian Government recognises the important role that community pharmacists and pharmacies play in our health system and is committed to supporting pharmacies across Australia providing access to Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines and effective health care services.
On 27 May 2015, the Minister for Health, the Hon Sussan Ley MP, announced the Government had signed five year agreements with the Generic Medicines industry Association (GMiA) and the Pharmacy Guild of Australia (the Guild) as part of a broader package of measures across the pharmaceutical supply chain.
The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Access and Sustainability Package (the Package) is a group of measures which will deliver funding for community pharmacy through the Sixth Community Pharmacy Agreement (6CPA)
During the first half of 2015, the Government has worked with GBMA, the Guild, Medicines Australia, the Consumer Health Forum and over 20 other stakeholders, to develop a strongly supported package of measures. The measures will support access to medicines by improving the operation of the PBS while keeping it sustainable.
- Sixth Community Pharmacy Agreement
- Signed Strategic Agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and the Generic Medicines Industry Association (PDF 5.6MB)
- Minister Ley Media Release (PDF 1.3MB)
- Fact Sheet - Summary (PDF 71KB) - (Word 28KB)
- Fact Sheets - PBS Access & Sustainability Measures (PDF 140KB) - (Word 536KB)
The proposed 1 January 2016 listing changes for over-the-counter products set out below will proceed once the Departmental delegate makes the recommended legal determinations.
- List of OTC items recommended for delisting or amendment from 1 January 2016 (PDF 85KB) - (Word 62KB)
Discounting the PBS Patient Co-payment from 1 January 2016
From 1 January 2016, pharmacists and dispensing medical practitioners will be given the option to discount the PBS patient co-payment by up to $1.00.
- Discounting PBS Patient Co-payment Fact Sheet (PDF 175KB) - (Word 47KB)
- Discounting PBS Patient Co-payment – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 186KB) - (Word 48KB)
Expanded PBS Safety Net early supply arrangements from 1 January 2016
From 1 January 2016, Safety Net early supply arrangements will be expanded to include more medicines and to better match resupply intervals to the listed quantity and use of a medicine.
- Consumer Frequently Asked Questions – early supply
- Pharmacist Questions and Answers – early supply
- List of medicines – early supply